Everything? It’s so much easier to give thanks for the, well, easy things. It’s easy to be thankful for a good job, great family, nice house and cars, clothing, friends- the list goes on seemingly indefinitely. What about other things?
This year I am purposing to be thankful for…
- President-elect Obama. God may use him to do great things in this country. I disagree with him on nearly everything but no one is out of God’s reach.
- Economic recession. It is easy to be thankful for blessings when they are many. When things get tighter, people learn true heart-felt gratitude for every blessing.
- Hard work. I know I’m feeling better when I can do it!
- Disagreement. It is an opportunity to examine myself, ensure my own standards and convictions, and embrace how different God made each of us.
- Persecution. I have tried to learn to embrace the little bits of persecution I’ve endured in my life. They’re so pathetic compared to real persecution but they do make me appreciate a country where we still do have religious freedom. This may not always be true. I need to appreciate it while it is.
There are so many things like this that I need to remember to be thankful for. I need to be thankful in ALL THINGS… not just the ones that inspire immediate feelings of gratitude. I am a child of the King. A child of the King of kings. I am blessed beyond measure.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.